01 02 03 Now that's pretty 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

34

This weekend me and George went to Laduree, the macaron shop in Covent garden and it reminded me of one thing: me and macarons have such a history! I mean seriously we go way back and it reminded me that I'd never really talked about it on the blog so I thought I would do a post!

When I was about 16 I watched Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette and decided two things.
1) Those macaron things look gooooood and
2) I am going to Paris.

I had never been before, I had no money and no way of getting there but I decided that I was definitely going to find a way. I started working on 1) but I couldn't find anywhere to buy a macaron in the UK. They're pretty much everywhere now but a few years ago they were strictly Parisian and even a scouring of London didn't satisfy my macaron cravings. So I made them and for some reason I was good at them. Macarons are notoriously tricky to master and yet for some reason I had the knack, it was ridiculously lucky! Then, in a total stroke of madness which I still don't understand I booked a table at a local fete and called myself a "Macaron Chef". Baring in mind I had only cooked one batch so far- it was ridiculous. But I did it. I painted a big sign, George helped build me a display and I stayed up all night making hundreds of macs in twelve different flavours.


And weirdly enough I completely sold out, I couldn't believe it! Everyone who came up to my stall gasped and giggled at all the bright colours and said they simply had to try one of these strange cookies. I was totally over the moon! The next week I booked up a few more fetes and village fayres and basically spent a summer lugging boxes of macarons from county to county (with the help of George and my parents) and completely selling out nearly every time. I felt so amazingly good about myself and for the first time I realised that I loved working for myself; there was something so brilliant about seeing a direct correlation between the amount of work I put in and the amount of feedback and money I got out. I was hooked! I booked more, I made more, I sold more and so on and so on. 

I'm sorry about the fuzzy picture, it just really sums up the excitement of selling out!

The big break came when I was asked to do the Oxford Food festival hosted by chef Raymond Blanc. It was the biggest show I'd ever done and I was really quite intimidated; I had a huge stand to fill and I was only 16 but I rose to the challenge. The event was over two days and so I planned ahead and made enough macarons for the entire weekend. It was pretty exhausting preparing but oh my goodness it was exciting.

So I arrived at the fair I set out my stall and sold my entire weekend's stock within a few hours. I couldn't believe it. I got literally about an hour's sleep that night because I had to rush home and make another weekend's worth of macarons in 12 hours. Ahhhh it was so frantic! I still don't know how I did it because usually it would take me so long just to do one load but I suppose adrenaline put me on autopilot. I sold out again and realised an amazing fact. I had saved enough money to go to Paris!


And so we went! Feeling decidedly more older and mature for having started a business and paid for a holiday we jetted off to Paris and lived in luxury for a week in Montmatre. It was amazing and everything I could've possibly hoped it to be. Plus I had my first ever macaron not made by me! Then I had lots and lots more... purely for research's sake. 

Sadly recently I've taken an extended break from macarons. Every now and then I still do special orders, like this tower, for old clients but on the whole I've gone pretty macaron cold turkey. After Paris I had to concentrate on my A levels and after that I got quite badly ill and had to deal with my dental surgery and so I had no time to run a business  And even after that moving to Edinburgh sort of displaced everything and it felt like to start selling up there would feel like beginning all over again and so I sort of fizzled out. Having said that though I am totally planning to sell again this Summer, if not for the money then for the fact that I get to eat the left overs. 

So there, I do have an interesting past with macarons!


Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38