01 02 03 Now that's pretty: Slow Fashion 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Slow Fashion

34
You guys...it would appear that on the year I have decided not to have resolutions I have gone and got myself a resolution. And it's a whopper.

I AM NOT GOING TO BUY ANY NEW CLOTHES FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR!

...I know right?! Pretty dramatic. It all started last year when I was reading more and more about the 'Slow Fashion' movement. Essentially this is the movement which argues that our current clothing situation is pretty terrible; cheaply made and easily accessible clothes are bad for working conditions, the environment and more often than not, mean that we are prioritising something other than quality. Although I did read a lot about all this I sort of didn't take it in. I read it and then walked away.

UNTIL! I took up sewing properly again. This year my sewing machine has been smoking and I've well and truly caught the sewing bug again. It was only when I gave myself the challenge to perfectly make and finish a dress (lining, pockets, hidden zip, french seams and all) that I really started thinking about how clothing is made. I spent days sewing that thing up and yet on the highstreet I could go out and get a dress for a tenner. Those two things just didn't add up to me. It seemed both horrifically unfair to those who construct the garments but also pretty unnecessary. I love making clothes and it'll make the world a better place and so why not make more?
When I was thinking about my slow fashion goals I approached the situation with a pros and cons list.

PROS OF SLOW FASHION

CONS OF SLOW FASHION
That kind of settled it for me. I think the pros outweigh the cons by far. 
I've been doing my slow fashion year since January and so far so good! I've been sewing a lot more and have saved money from not buying clothes. I'll be posting soon about the new clothes I've made so stay tuned!

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38